Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Post ideas...

So my good friend Erika and I agreed to keep encouraging each other to write and keep writing.  The purpose behind our writing should be completely selfish.  We do not write with the intention of entertaining anyone or drawing anyone closer into our world.  We merely need and demand a clear mode of expression, and we choose the written word.  Sometimes it's hard to come up with things to talk about, especially when your days run together and are about as exciting as sliced bread.  Let's face it, I'm not as exciting as I once used to be when I was much younger.  Sometimes I find it hard to dig up inspiration from my trip to the grocery store or my lunch break workout.  Therefore, I'm posting a few links I have found that give some great jumping off points.  I hope that anyone looking for a way to express themselves find some help in these suggestions.  Please feel free to deviate, the creative options are boundless.

I came upon this list when I googled "blog post topics" in hopes of finding some generic inspiration.   It compiles a great list of places to start off from....

  1. The Story of My Most Serious Injury
  2. The Person I Admire Most
  3. This Will Be My Epitaph
  4. Why I Love My Hometown
  5. Why I Hate My Hometown
  6. Why I Was a Childhood Bully
  7. How I Shop
  8. How I Choose to Spend My Money
  9. I Wish I Spent Less Money on This
  10. Why I’m in My Current Job
  11. My Ideal Job
  12. My High School Clique
  13. My Worst Subject in School
  14. If I Had a Super Power
  15. Here’s Where My Opinion Differs From the Majority
  16. Why I Voted the Way I Did in the Last Election
  17. Why I Don’t Vote
  18. The Cause I Really Believe In
  19. Why I Came To Religion
  20. Why I Don’t Believe Anymore
  21. Where I Find Spirituality
  22. My First Kiss
  23. My Worst Kiss
  24. The First Time I Had My Heart Broken
  25. Why I Travel
  26. Why I Don’t Travel
  27. My Philosophy on Raising Children
  28. Why I Chose My University Degree
  29. My Favourite Place on the Planet
  30. My Greatest Sin Against the Environment
  31. Why I Married My Spouse
  32. My Most Hated Movie
  33. The Book That Changed My Life
  34. My Unexpected Mentor
  35. I Couldn’t Live Without This Song
  36. If I Hear This Song Again, Radio Personalities Will Suffer
  37. I Have the Craziest Uncle Ever
  38. Why I Believe in Luck
  39. Why I Don’t Believe in Luck
  40. How I Earned My Worst Karma
  41. Where I Volunteer
  42. Why I Don’t Volunteer
  43. My Favourite Item of Clothing Growing Up
  44. If This Celebrity Knocked On My Door, I’d Run Away With Them
  45. Why I Care About Celebrities
  46. Why I Love This Sport
  47. Why I Hate Sports
  48. When I’m at My Most Self-Indulgent
  49. How To Be Selfless
  50. My Childhood Dreams, and How I’ve Fulfilled Them
  51. How I Learned Patience
  52. How My Hard Work Paid Off
  53. I’ve Never Been More Surprised in My Life
  54. What Scares the Shit Out of Me
  55. The Only Thing I Can Teach You

Here is another link that proposes some topics I would never really dream of discussing or considering.  Mostly, I think because they seem to be from a very male point of view.  However, sometimes a topic suggestion is the perfect thing that a blocked writer needs to explore that place they have not yet been.  

  1. When's the last time you cried and why did you?
  2. How long has it been since you laughed and what does laughter mean to you?
  3. Whose your favorite figure skater of all time and why?
  4. (Related to that) Dick Button vs. Scott Hamilton, whose better?
  5. When was the first time you realized that your vote didn't make a difference and have you voted since then?
  6. What TV show do you remember most from your childhood and why?
  7. What character from any one of the Love Boat, Laverne & Shirley or Happy Days do you feel most closely matches who you are?
  8. If you could choose anyone in the world to be our president who would it be?
  9. Describe the last sunrise or sunset you watched and if you can't remember describe how that might feel.
  10. What's your favorite website and why?
  11. If you could ask George Bush 5 questions, what would they be?
  12. What does "best friend" mean to you and do you have one currently and who was your best friend from childhood?
  13. If you could change the date of Christmas, when would you change it to?  (forget the birth of Jesus thing, everyone else does)
  14. What was your favorite book as a child and do you have a copy of it?
  15. Jesus or Gandhi, who would you rather meet?
  16. If you could take one picture out of all that you have to capture your essence, which would it be?
  17. Talk about another language that you know or if you don't know one talk about how that feels and what you would want to learn.
  18. Write about all 3 meals (or more) that you had today and whether there's any pattern to them.
  19. What does love mean to you?
  20. Is hate the opposite of love?
  21. Who is your favorite Simpsons character and why?
  22. David Letterman or Jay Leno whose better?
  23. What do you think of bloggers?  (even me if you want!)
  24. What is your most memorable New Year's Eve?
  25. What is your religion and do you still practice it?
  26. Is there a God?  (sorry, I'm on a vibe here....)
  27. What is the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?
  28. What one thing did you see or hear today that caught your attention?
  29. Who is the best stand up comic of all time?
  30. If you could ask Saddam Hussein any 5 questions what would they be?
  31. Do you remember your dreams?
  32. If you could do anything for the rest of your life, what would it be?
  33. What's the thing you fear most in life?
  34. If you had 3 wishes, what would you wish for?
  35. Write about the last time you saw a group of children and how it made you feel.
  36. Dog or cat person?
  37. Best actor/actress.  Worst actor/actress.
  38. What city is most interesting to you that you haven't visited?
  39. If you are single, write about your last date (no matter how long ago or weird it was!)
  40. If you are married, write about your first date!
  41. If you are gay, write about ANYTHING....there's not enough out there to tell the story of how discriminatory we are against gays!
  42. Whose your favorite sports teams?
  43. What tv shows have you watched in the past and regretted?  (90210...Melrose Place....)
  44. Do you own a TV and if you do and you meet someone who doesn't, how arrogant are they?
  45. What album did you listen to most as a youngster and do you still have it?
  46. When's the last time you told someone special that you loved them?  (make a list)
  47. Link to a story about anything that's important to you and share it and comment on it.
  48. Go public with a "fetish" like the History Channel or Behind the Music.
  49. Write about what reality shows you watch and what you think of them.
  50. Which reality show "star" would you like to meet most?
  51. Write about the first time your heart was broken.
  52. Write about the last time your heart was broken.
  53. Describe your first day of school that you remember and connect it to your child's first day if you have one.
  54. Write about anything, and i mean ANYTHING your child does.
  55. Why is I capitalized in English?
  56. What are your favorite words and why?
  57. Write about losing your parents.
  58. Write about how much you love your parents.
  59. Write about how you think your child saw an event that you both watched together.
  60. Why are people obsessed with the weather?  And if you watch the Weather Channel, why?
  61. If you could choose any historical figure as a weather person, who would it be?
  62. If you could transport yourself back to any one moment in time of history when would it be?
  63. What's your favorite restaurant and why?
  64. Write a review of a book.
  65. What's the most embarrassing moment you've ever witnessed, live?
  66. Do you believe in reincarnation?
  67. What do you feel most guilty about?
  68. Is pride beneficial?
  69. If you could ask God to explain why any one musical group became popular that made no sense and God answered, what group would you ask about?
  70. Do you think God is male?
  71. If you eat sushi and love it, why?
  72. What do you remember about 9/11?
  73. If you could change anything right now, what would it be?
  74. If you are a woman, what one thing do you wish men would get?
  75. If you are a man, when's the last time you've thought that you were sensitive?
  76. Willie Wonka:  Gene Wilder or Johnny Depp?
  77. What's the greatest sporting event you ever saw live?
  78. Bill Gates:  Good or Bad?
  79. What's the worst movie you've ever seen?
  80. What does passion mean to you?
  81. Name your 10 favorite outfits of all time.
  82. If you're a man, have you ever gotten a manicure/pedicure?
  83. Keep a log of your wedding planning experience (it would be really interesting if a guy and a gal did this separately.)
  84. Do you think that the US is the greatest country in the world and why?  Answer the same question from the point of view of a person from France.
  85. Who will be the first woman president?
  86. Do you think this country is racist?
  87. NASCAR:  Do you love it and if so why?
  88. What 5 things would you take to a show and tell to a kindergarten class?
  89. Is parenting hard and if it is, was it hard today?
  90. Richard Pryor or Jerry Seinfeld:  who was/is better?
  91. Do you play fantasy sports and if you did and don't anymore, does it change your interest level in sports?
  92. What gift have you received in life that is most precious?
  93. How do you deal with hurt?
  94. What is your favorite flower and when was the last time anyone gave you a bouquet including them?
  95. If you are a man, how do you think it would be to deal with menstruation?  (sorry, getting a little tired....)
  96. Name your 5 favorite olympic moments.
  97. Do you sing/dance in the house when you're alone?
  98. Kenneth Cole or Ralph Lauren:  whose better?
  99. Brad Pitt:  as a guy, can you admit that he's hot?
  100. Write about a really silly post that this one dude did about 100 blog post topics.
Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment